20/06/2013

Now What?

Borrowed from here
Today has been a bit of a mixed up day. I woke up feeling dizzy and nauseous and decided to ring in sick to work (the second time I've ever done that in the entire 4 years of working for my company!) and ended up feeling a little guilty, even though I knew that I couldn't really work around food all day feeling the way that I did. Then my parcel from Ikea arrived with my Helmer unit and drawer inserts (hello new makeup storage, collection post soon? Let me know if you'd like) and I was all happy and excited. 

And now I'm sitting here, still not feeling right and having a bit of an existential crisis. I know I sound like a bit of an idiot writing all of this, a bit dramatic perhaps, but I honestly can't describe this feeling as anything but an existential crisis. But what is my crisis? This:

I've just gained a 2:1 in Criminology (BA Hons) from a top notch university. 
Now what...? 
Borrowed from here
The answer to this question should be simple. I should, by 22, have a distinct idea of what I want to do with my life, shouldn't I? Don't laugh, but the only career dreams I have right now is to make it onto the Disney Cultural Representative Programme and go and work at the United Kingdom pavillion in Epcot in Orlando. But even then that'd only be for 12 months. 

So I have a degree, now what?

People keep asking me what I'm going to do for a job. I tell them the answers they want to hear, 'oh with my Criminology I'm looking to join the Police/Prison Service/Customs', the standard thing that everyone expects a Criminologist to do. Truth be told Durham haven't really given me much career advice. So I'm still stuck. 

Now what?
Borrowed from here
I shouldn't really complain, in fact don't think I'm complaining, I'm mostly mulling over my situation. I do already have a job and recently signed up to the management programme because my head told me to get some management experience. But truth be told I don't know if I want to do that. Working with food is not something I particularly enjoy, it's meeting new people and being enthusiastic about a brand that suits me. I'm also passionate about travelling, books, writing, makeup and skincare. And shopping(!). I'm not so passionate about burgers and chips, or the general hub of fast food life. I can't keep coming home, going to sleep, getting up, and then going work again, and working unsociable hours. I can't be dealing with a cyclical life. 

But now what?

I keep reading inspirational quotes and messages I find on Tumblr and We Heart It. Call me sad, but I'm stuck. 

Have you recently graduated? Or graduated some time ago and felt like me? Tell me I'm not alone!

4 comments:

  1. Not alobne. I went back to school because I have no idea what to do with my life or degree. You're still young,there's plenty of time yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think most people feel like that! Don't worry lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I graduated three years ago, and I have no idea what to do with my life yet, I'm just plodding along, waiting for inspiration to strike! Good luck :)

    Charlotte - Blotandreapply.blogspot.com xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel exactly like this hun. I don't know what to do with myslef, do I take a masters? Keep hurling myself at the job market to get soul crushed? Go abroad?

    Do let me know if you ever want to vent over it :) I know how you feel!

    Rachel//www.twentysomethingbeauty.com

    xx

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every single comment that you write :-) Thank-you for taking the time to stop by and write me a note Louise xx